What do system administrators do?
Thursday 27 December 2007
Almost every company employs system administrators. I have noticed that is it not always obvious to everyone what these system admins do all day.
Therefore I created the list below with tasks that system admins usually do in daily practice:
- Installation and maintenance of hardware and software;
- Daily checks of the systems;
- Organising a fast repair of the service in case of an incident or emergency;
- Applying changes based on RFC's;
- Monitoring systems;
- Creating and maintaining scripts;
- Creating and checking daily back-ups;
- On demand restoring of data from back-ups;
- Performance tuning;
- Installing patches;
- Checking the security of systems and keeping it up-to-date;
- Patching systems and firmware;
- User account management;
- Answering second-line technical questions;
- Documenting systems and keeping documentation up-to-date;
- Keeping informed about their professional knowledge.
So, be nice to your system administrators: they are very busy!